The ketogenic or keto diet is a plan that is high in healthy fats and low in carbohydrates. Also, you eat high levels of protein, placing your body into a ketogenic state. This diet helps you burn extra fat while feeling more energetic. If you’ve tried the “keto diet,” you may think it is highly-restrictive, but it’s not. To prove that, here are 12 healthy treats, desserts and munchies you can prepare.
Keto Iced Coffee
Why pay for expensive iced coffee when you can make your own? Brew two cups of coffee and then add a few ice cubes. For sweetness, add a keto-friendly sweetener such as stevia, xylitol, sucralose, or yacon syrup. Pour the coffee in your thermal flask and you’re good to go.
Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies
For all the guys who love chocolate chip cookies, here is a low-carb version for you. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Then, in a medium bowl combine:
- One cup of almond flour
- Two cups of chocolate chips
- Three teaspoons of stevia
- One-fourth teaspoon of salt
- Two tablespoons of coconut oil
- Three teaspoons of milk.
Scoop the cookie batter into small balls and place on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes until golden brown. Place on a rack to cool, and enjoy.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. While the oven heats, get a bowl and combine:
- One-half cup of almond flour
- Two eggs
- Five tablespoons of butter
- One-fourth cup of cocoa powder
- One-fourth teaspoon of baking soda
- Three-fourth of a cup of stevia
Pour the batter in a greased loaf pan and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing into squares.
Keto Peanut Butter Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, combine:
- One-half cup of peanut butter
- One egg
- One-third cup of powdered stevia.
Scoop the batter in balls on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Place on a rack to cool.
Pork Rinds and Salsa
You can purchase store-bought pork rinds, but it’s better to prepare your own fresh, homemade salsa. To make the salsa, combine:
- Two cups of diced tomatoes
- One-half cup of diced jalapeno peppers
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- One-third cup of diced onions
- A few drops of hot chili or jalapeno sauce
- One-fourth cup of lime juice.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Homemade Vegetable and Fruit Chips
This recipe works well with zucchini, eggplant, strawberries, cucumbers or beets. All you have to is do slice your vegetables and fruits using a mandolin slicer. Lastly, just toss them in a large preheated skillet with canola oil and cook for five minutes on each side. Once you’re finished frying them, toss some salt and pepper on and serve.
Keto Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza
Just because you’re living the keto lifestyle, that doesn’t mean you need to ditch pizza altogether. You just have to modify the recipe, but it will be just as delicious as a traditional one. Here’s how:
- Purchase a package of frozen cauliflower crust or another low-carb version.
- Preheat your oven according to the package directions.
- Top the pizza with a half cup of tomato puree, one cup each of ground Italian sausage and sliced pepperoni.
- Bake according to package directions and serve.
Zucchini Noodle and Chicken Soup
This is a neat recipe for the cold weather months. You can make batches of the soup for later use. Instead of pasta, you use zucchini instead. Just follow these steps:
- In a large pot, add five teaspoons of olive oil.
- Saute two cups of diced onions, three cups of carrots, a third cup of crushed garlic cloves, and two cups of diced broccoli florets.
- After 20 minutes, add four cups of chicken broth, three packages of zucchini noodles, a pound of diced boneless chicken breasts.
- Season with your favorite herbs and spices.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes, and then serve.
Hard-Boiled Egg Bento Box
This is a fun and healthy way to eat lunch. You can include a variety of low-carb foods in the bento box. These might include:
- Tuna fish or diced chicken breasts
- Pecan and macadamia nuts
- Black olives
- Kale chips
- Low-carb fruits, such as watermelon or blueberries.
Mashed Cauliflower with Cheese and Bacon
This is a satisfying snack in a bowl. Start by getting a pot and boiling three cups of chopped cauliflower, and then drain and place in a bowl. Next, add the following:
- Two to three teaspoons of salt, according to taste
- Two teaspoons of black pepper
- Two to three teaspoons of cayenne pepper, according to taste
- Two teaspoons of garlic powder
- One cup of diced onions
Add a third cup of milk and puree the mixture with an immersion blender until it is smooth. Top with three cups of cheddar cheese and a few bacon strips.
Whether in a cup or a bowl, chili is a tasty way to warm your bones. In this recipe, you’ll substitute the beans for mushrooms. Beans have too many carbs, yet mushrooms are high in protein and filling, too. Here’s how:
- In a medium pot, add one to two tablespoons of olive oil
- Brown a pound of ground beef for 10 to 15 minutes and drain.
- Return the meat to the pot and then add three cups of mushrooms instead of beans.
- Next, add:
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Garlic powder and onion powder to taste
- One-third cup of chopped garlic cloves
- Two cups of onions
- Two cups of broccoli
- One bag of spinach
- Two cups of beef broth
Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. Sprinkle some cheese on top and serve. You can also garnish your chili with keto diet-friendly sliced jalapeno peppers and/or sour cream.
Oven-Baked or Grilled Barbecued Ribs
Ribs go great with your favorite sports team and are perfect for the keto diet. Cook up a batch for the whole crew. They won’t even know its part of your keto diet. Just preheat your oven to 350 degrees or heat up the barbecue grill. Then follow these simple steps.
- Season a rack of ribs with the following:
- Three teaspoons of salt
- Three teaspoons of olive oil
- Two teaspoons of black pepper
- Four teaspoons of garlic powder
- Two teaspoons of chili powder
- Place the ribs in a large roasting pan and bake for two hours.
- As the ribs are cooking, prepare a low-carb barbecue sauce by getting a saucepan and combining:
- A cup and a half of tomato paste
- One-half cup of apple cider vinegar
- Two teaspoons of salt
- Three teaspoons of black pepper
- One-third cup of sucralose
- Three teaspoons of garlic powder
- One-half cup of water
- Two teaspoons of paprika
- Cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, and then pour the sauce over ribs when they are almost finished baking.
- Continue cooking the ribs until they are tender, approximately two hours in the oven or 45 minutes on the grill.
These 12 easy keto diet treats, desserts and munchies for men will make you love the keto way of eating. You can enjoy any recipe with the right tweaks while still staying slim and active. It’s a win-win for all.